Enjoy this Spinach and Ricotta Grilled Cheese with Marinara as a fun twist on classic grilled cheese and tomato soup. It hits-the-spot when craving comfort food and sneaks in some veggies. That’s a win-win in my book!
In addition to the ricotta, this recipe blends mozzarella and parmesan cheese into the mixture. Talk about the “triple threat” of cheeses.
I used a hearty 10-grain bread in this recipe, but you could swap out for your favorite bread. Thick sourdough bread would work well, too.
Spinach and Ricotta Grilled Cheese
- 1 clove garlic
- ⅓ cup ricotta cheese
- ½ cup fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons of fresh basil, chopped
- 4 slices of bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup marinara (for dipping)
- In a small pan, sautee garlic in olive oil over medium heat. Stir occasionally until garlic is fragrant (about 1-2 minutes). Transfer garlic to a small bowl and set pan aside.
- Add ricotta, spinach, parmesan, basil, and mozzarella to the bowl with garlic. Stir until combined.
- Spread the cheese/garlic mixture evenly among 4 slices of bread. Combine into 2 sandwiches.
- Using the same pan as before, add butter and bring to medium heat. Place sandwiches in the pan (1 at a time if smaller pan, both at once if using a medium-sized pan). Cook for 4 minutes per side or until bread has browned and cheese is melted.
- Cut each sandwich in half for serving with your favorite marinara as a dipping sauce.
What’s your favorite grilled cheese combo?
Tell me about it in the comments!