Looking for a pasta dish that’s high in protein? Look no further than this plant-based protein pasta.
Whether you’re vegetarian or simply looking to try a meatless meal, this is an easy dish to elevate your next pasta night.
It’s made with chickpea noodles and sauteed tempeh for a delicious protein-packed meal.
Now, I’ve tried all the recipes for tempeh meatballs and lentil bolognese, but honestly…the recipes were too long for my liking.
I consider this recipe the “short-cut” version because all you have to do is sautee the tempeh with veggies and pour a jar of marinara over top – viola!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.
Plant-Based Protein Pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 package tempeh, chopped into cubes
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- ½ cup sundried tomatoes (with juices)
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 jar marinara of choice (24 ounces)
- 1 box pasta of choice (8 ounces) * I used Banza
- Parmesan cheese for serving
- In a large saute pan, heat olive oil over low to medium heat. Add the tempeh and onion, cooking for 10 minutes until onion translucent, and tempeh starts to turn golden. Stir occasionally, breaking up the tempeh into even smaller pieces.
- Next, add the bell pepper, zucchini, and sundried tomatoes (with juices – this will add extra oil and flavor to the mixture). Cook for another 5 minutes or until the veggies soften, stirring occasionally.
- Season the vegetable mixture with oregano, salt, and pepper. Pour jar of marinara over top. Reduce heat to low and let sit.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water. Immediately add the cooked pasta to the pan. Stir everything together.
- Serve warm with fresh parmesan cheese grated over top. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? If so, you might also like this One Pot Veggie Pasta.