“I feel disconnected from my body.”
I hear this time and time again from my coaching clients with a history of dieting. Diets have made it difficult for them to listen to their body. They’re used to following an external set of rules versus tapping into the body’s inner wisdom.
The good news: it’s possible to rebuild the mind-body connection. In this post, I’m bringing you 10 journal prompts to enhance the mind-body connection.
What is the Mind-Body Connection?
The mind and body are in constant communication. Have you noticed how your thoughts can influence how you feel? And how you feel can influence your thoughts?
A healthy mind-body connection is when both the mind and body feel seen, heard and valued.
When mental health is overlooked, there are detrimental effects on physical health. Even the lack of a sense of worth or purpose has been associated with an increased risk of developing cardiovascular disease (1). It’s clear that health practices must focus on the whole: mind and body.
When the mind and body are disconnected…
- You’re constantly on-the-go and never have time to slow down.
- Your head is filled with external noise, and you can’t hear your internal thoughts.
- You overlook the signs that your body tries to send you.
- You feel overwhelmed or “spread too thin”; as a result, you feel stressed and fatigued.
When the mind and body are connected…
- You hear the conversation happening between your mind and body. You’re able to make rational decisions that honor your total health – mind, body, and spirit.
- You can tell when you start to feel hungry and when you begin to feel full.
- You notice and respect when you need rest. Also, you notice and respect when you need movement.
- Your intuition guides your choices.
Remember, the mind and body are in constant communication. The question is: can you slow down and get quiet enough to listen?
Journaling is one of my favorite tools for cultivating awareness. A powerful journal prompt pushes us beyond surface-level thought and into the depths of our intuition. Use these journal prompts to create a bridge connecting the desires and needs of your mind and body.
10 Journal Prompts to Enhance Your Mind-Body Connection
- My body feels nourished when…
- My mind feels nourished when…
- Practices that nourish my mind and body include…
- How can I commit to these practices on a regular basis?
- Reflect on a time you felt a sense of deep connection in your body. What made this so?
- In this moment I feel…
- What is this feeling here to teach me?
- How can I feel more at peace in this moment?
- If my body could write me a message, what would it say?
- Imagine you’ve mastered the mind-body connection – how would your life look different than it does now?
Create a comfortable setting for journaling. Light a candle or have your favorite blanket nearby. Take as much time as you need to work through these prompts. Remember, getting through these prompts is not a race. The beauty is in the process. Stay present throughout the process.
Do you journal? I share weekly journal prompts in my Sunday Glow Newsletter – join here!